Vegan Tarte Flambée with Spinach and Beetroot
The Story Behind the Recipe
Tarte Flambée is one of my all time favorites when it comes to seasonal cooking. You can combine the dough with almost any topping – making it a nice dish for all seasons.
This recipe tops the tarte with spinach (April to November) and rootbeet (June to November, or all year when pickled). It also tastes amazing in winter, replacing the spinach by curly kale (September to February).
What do you need?
Dough (for one baking tray)
- 220 g flour
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 100 ml warm water
- 1 vegan crème fraiche or cream cheese (I recommend oatly!)
- Of course you could also use a non-vegan alternative, e.g. crème fraiche or sour crème
- 1 beetroot (cooked or from the glass)
- 1 red onion
- A few leaves of spinach
- Citrus juice
- Salt, pepper, sugar
How do you make it?
- Mix all the ingredients and knead until its one homogenous dough.
- Let the dough rest for half an hour to prepare for its big moment.
- Roll out the dough to the size of your baking tray. The thinner, the better!
- Preheat your oven to about 250 °C (it really needs to be that hot!)
- Mix your crème fraiche with salt, pepper and a bit of citrus juice. Spread it over the dough.
- Cut the beetroot and onion in thin slices. Chop your spinach leaves as tiny as you can. Put everything on your dough as well.
- Put the tarte in the oven for approximately 10 minutes. It should be nicely roasted by then.
- Take out and enjoy!