Spaghetti aglio e olio with vegan parmesan
The story behind the recipe
This recipe is perfect for a global pandemic: pasta with lots and lots of garlic. It is easy and quick, tastes amazing and assures you that others will keep their 1.5 m distance, a win-win recipe!
All you need is some pasta, oil, garlic and (if you like) some chilli. The vegan “parmesan” is made of cashew nuts and yeast flakes and is the perfect addition to this tasty dish.
What do you need?
For the pasta
- 500 g spaghetti
- 3-4 (at least) cloves of garlic
- 1 chilli (optional)
- some olive oil
- some salt and pepper
For the parmesan
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons yeast flakes
- some salt
- some garlic powder (optional)
How do you make it?
- Cook the spaghetti in salty water as stated on the packaging.
- Chop or press the garlic cloves and chilli and mix it with some olive oil in a small pan. Heat it slowly and let it brew for about 3 minutes. Tip: the garlic should not turn brown. If it does, take it off the heat earlier!
- Mix the drained pasta with the garlic oil.
- Add salt and pepper as you like.
- For the parmesan, you grind the cashew nuts and mix it with the yeast, salt and garlic powder.
- You can add more garlic, chilli or herbs (e.g. parsley).
- You can prepare the garlic-chilli-oil mixture a few hours ahead and skip the heating. This way it gets even tastier.